Saturday, July 10, 2010

Getting Over My Crap by Breaking the Rules...

So, failing to stay on track with training, fundraising, and various other things had me down in the dump. I needed something besides team support to get me out of it - as part of my problem was not being able to connect with my team. In my favorite way to get things going, I turned to rulebreaking. My rule breaking overtook me sometime around 6:30 or 7 PM on Friday, and here's how it went:


Rule #1: Do not walk on the Silver Comet Trail by yourself, people have been murdered there.


I don't know what urged me to break this rule, but I had debating the validity of this rule for a long time. My debate included questions such as: There have also been murders at the shopping malls I shop at, so what makes the Silver Comet Trail different from shopping by myself? If I can walk down Hollywood Blvd in Los Angeles at 2 am, why can't I walk the Silver Comet Trail in broad daylight? I could never find answers to these questions that would keep me away - especially since I know enough self defense to injure someone trying to hurt me and have watched enough CSI to know to eat hair and scratch skin....

On this particular Friday, I noticed that there were plenty of people cycling along the trail, lots of cars parked in the lot, and the day wasn't oppressively hot - conditions perfect for a 5 walk along my portion of the 60 mile trail. I started walking along, having a great time - the longer I walked, the more confident I felt. Until about 1.78 miles from my car, when I broke Rule #2.


Rule #2: Do not stay outside in a thunderstorm.


At the 1.78 mile marker (I love the Silver Comet Trail for that - it keeps track of the miles for you!), I felt the first drops of rain. I immediately started cursing my husband for reporting the rain for Saturday, even though I should have been cursing whatever weather person (probably Dagmar) he heard it from. I then started cursing myself for thinking they'd be right instead of figuring out the rain myself. Hello - cloud in the sky!!!


At this point, I had no choice but to start back to my car, with hopes of beating the rain. Ha! I was about 1.68 miles away from my car when the sky completely opened up: wind started blowing strong enough to move trees - I'm talking relocation, not bending branches here, lightening started striking, thunder started rolling (like a train....), and little itty bits of hail started hitting me. I KEPT WALKING towards my car - mostly thinking that if I can survive this, I can survive anything October will throw at me. I thought about how little this was to survive in the grand scheme of things, and how trival things got me so tied up in myself that I couldn't get into the spirit of anything. About half an hour of thinking later, I arrived at my car, soaking wet, grateful for surviving, and ready to get home.


When I started driving home, one of the roads was blocked by a fire truck picking up a tree laying on top of a downed power line. When I got to my neighborhood, there was so much debris (and two more downed trees) that I had to drive on the other side of the road. I was looking around in awe thinking "I can't believe I was out in this, I really can't!" When I got inside (after the hot shower and the change of clothes), I turned on the news to see massive lightening counts (443!?!?), severe storm warnings, and lots and lots of red on the Doppler Radar. Again, a sense of awe overcame me - I just couldn't believe I walked over 1.5 miles in that. When I spoke to my neighbor, she indicated a mild tornado had hit.....I don't believe that, but then I do. Crazy!


But, crazier still is that I broke Rule #3, even after I have been warned, warned, and warned about the consequences of this one....


Rule #3: Do not walk in cotton socks.


Granted, I've been breaking this rule for a while now, mostly because I've always worn cotton socks and I haven't needed any new ones. But know that I have been planning to buy them....I really have, I just haven't been walking the big miles yet, and hadn't paid any consequences for breaking this rule.

Picture a drowned rat, and what you have is a slightly smaller version of me after my almost two mile walk in a storm dumping up to two inches an hour. My shoes were holding water, but everytime I walked, water would slosh out of them through the air vents. I could get most of the water out, except no matter how hard I tried, the cotton socks held water.

So, here it is 3 days later, and my cotton socks are wet inside my shoes, which due to all the foam have not completely dried out. This is the last day I am wearing cotton socks. I'm going tonight to get the good ones - because now I have paid the consequence for cotton socks.....my feet hurt, and I haven't walked at all today!

Thanks for reading! ~ Deanna

2 comments:

  1. Hi Deanna! I frequently walk on the SCT by myself and even though it always crosses my mind that something could happen, I think you're absolutely right - that same something could happen anywhere! I've also totally been there with getting caught in the rain on the SCT. I once spent almost 45 minutes hanging out under an overpass with my dog waiting for it to pass only to end up running to the car in the still driving rain anyways.

    Just so you, there is a group of local Atlanta walkers that are planning to meet up for a training walk on the Silver Comet Trail this Saturday (July 16) at 9am. If you're interested, email me at kscincotta@gmail.com and I'll send you the details.

    Oh, and stuff your sneakers full of newspaper. Best trick ever for drying them out.

    ~ Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen,

    Thanks for the camaraderie! It is great to know that I am not alone with my trials & tribulations when it comes to my adventures!

    Also, thanks for the invite! I would love to walk with the group, however Saturday I am going to be fundraising!!

    I'll email you!!

    ReplyDelete