Friday, July 16, 2010

Switching Teams.....

Finding a 3-Day team is like picking a church once you have moved away from home: you have to look at all of the pieces that make up the team (the celebration, the support system, the fundraising, and the communication) in order to pick the right one for you, even when the choices look the same from the outside. Sometimes, you have to go in and experience it before you can really tell if the fit is right or not. (Sort of like walking in 7 different pair of shoes....) And sometimes that experience may point you out the door, even if you don't know why.

Out the door was where I was headed, and I didn't know why. But, I didn't want to give up on the cause, just like I didn't want to give up on God when I stopped liking the church I atteneded in Dallas, GA. And, like church (I now attend in Douglasville, GA) I just found a new team instead of giving up completely.

It wasn't just one thing or another that brought on my switch from the Sisterhood of The Pink Sneakers to Treasured Chests, but rather a different way of doing the same thing. Treasured Chests has a way that fits my personality, my needs, and my life a little better. That's it and nothing more.

Granted, I may not have gone about making the switch in the right way, because I called the 3-Day without calling the Sisterhood, and I am posting here rather than communicating directly with them, but it took me almost a month to figure out what I was going to do, and I still haven't figured out why I am doing it. I just know that I have an overall feeling that this is the right thing to do for me, and it wasn't brought on by anything other than my own feelings of incompatibility. I also feel that others can learn from my experience, as picking a 3-Day team seems to be the 3rd most important decision of this adventure - the first being the shoes and the second being the socks.

The 3-Day handbook rallies for the importance of finding and becoming a member of a team, but doesn't tell you how to handle issues regarding teamwork breakdowns, emotional differences, and other things that happen when working together as a team. They talk about how great it can be, and it can, but it doesn't talk about how bad it can get. From my experience, I have learned that teamwork is the part that can save you from complete and utter failure - and it is something that needs to be part of this adventure. However, when the team thing goes bad, what do you do?

I didn't think of this option until I after I called the 3-Day number ((800) 996-3day) to switch teams - but we have a WONDERFUL resource to turn to when we have issues or questions - COACHES!!! When I called to switch, they talked to me regarding my experience, listened to my problems, discussed my options, and asked if there was anything they could do to make my 3-Day experience better, and offered their support should I run into anything like that again!

So, for all of you out there who are not having the BEST time ever - struggling with fundraisers, missing out on a positive team experience, fighting a shoe/sock/foot issue, or training debacles - CONTACT A COACH!!! That is what they are there for - to help us to walk the greatest distance we can to put an end to breast cancer!!!

Coaches are available via email: coaches@the3day.org; via phone: (800) 996-3day; or via message boards in the participant center at the3day.org. Do not be afraid to approach them, they are the nicest, sweetest people who want to help!

Remember - you are not in this alone, and together we can overcome anything, even breast cancer!

Thanks for reading! ~ Deanna

No comments:

Post a Comment