Saturday, May 22, 2010

My First Official Team Training Walk - 4 Miles!

Today, I met up with my team The Sisterhood of Pink Sneakers at Dellinger Park in Cartersville, GA to walk in my first official training walk. We walked the park's track - a 2 mile loop - twice. I am shocked at myself. Truly shocked. First, I have trouble sticking to excercising, as shown by the drop off of the workout reports I used to post on this blog. I haven't been posting anything about them because I haven't doing anything! And, even though I have been receiving the virtual training schedule and my husband has been bugging me about following it, I haven't been able to bring myself to complete a single thing until today......

And complete something I did! The full 4 miles! Yey me!

When I woke up this morning, I was completely prepared for having trouble with this 4 mile walk, thinking "4 miles is a lot to do without previous training" and "I will fail, I just know it." Again, setting myself up for failure and giving me the excuse for not doing it.

But, I made a committment to meet my team, and I made up my mind: I was going to walk as far as I could today even if I couldn't finish - because the worst thing that could happen was that I wouldn't finish. I convinced myself that not finishing isn't so bad - after all, it would give me a gauge as to how much more work I will have to put in to get myself up to snuff.

Then, what happened? I not only completed all 4 miles, but when I was done, I felt as if I could walk even more. Sure, my legs will hate me tomorrow for putting them through their paces today, but I need to have my butt kicked for not keeping up with training! Now, I am printing up this week's virtual training schedule and I am going to do my best to keep up with it - as I don't want my legs to hate me forever!!!

Thanks for reading! ~ Deanna