Saturday, May 22, 2010

My First Official Team Training Walk - 4 Miles!

Today, I met up with my team The Sisterhood of Pink Sneakers at Dellinger Park in Cartersville, GA to walk in my first official training walk. We walked the park's track - a 2 mile loop - twice. I am shocked at myself. Truly shocked. First, I have trouble sticking to excercising, as shown by the drop off of the workout reports I used to post on this blog. I haven't been posting anything about them because I haven't doing anything! And, even though I have been receiving the virtual training schedule and my husband has been bugging me about following it, I haven't been able to bring myself to complete a single thing until today......

And complete something I did! The full 4 miles! Yey me!

When I woke up this morning, I was completely prepared for having trouble with this 4 mile walk, thinking "4 miles is a lot to do without previous training" and "I will fail, I just know it." Again, setting myself up for failure and giving me the excuse for not doing it.

But, I made a committment to meet my team, and I made up my mind: I was going to walk as far as I could today even if I couldn't finish - because the worst thing that could happen was that I wouldn't finish. I convinced myself that not finishing isn't so bad - after all, it would give me a gauge as to how much more work I will have to put in to get myself up to snuff.

Then, what happened? I not only completed all 4 miles, but when I was done, I felt as if I could walk even more. Sure, my legs will hate me tomorrow for putting them through their paces today, but I need to have my butt kicked for not keeping up with training! Now, I am printing up this week's virtual training schedule and I am going to do my best to keep up with it - as I don't want my legs to hate me forever!!!

Thanks for reading! ~ Deanna

4 comments:

  1. Excellent. This will be my 2nd yr walking in the Tampa Bay 3-Day. We started training in November 2008 for the Oct 2009 walk. I had blister the entire time training and the 2nd day of the walk, got red tagged for blowing my little toe out. I am so excited to say that I have logged over 180 miles training, since March 1 for this year with NO blisters.

    Keep up the great work and you will so LOVE the 3-Day. It is worth every blister, muscle pain, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes all you need is a little motivation to get you going. Knowing that others were out thee relying on you to lead them was just what you needed.
    Yeah u!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Congrats on doing the whole thing!

    I keep the 24 week schedule printed out on my desk, and I highlight the days I actually complete. If I do more (sometimes I'll do 4 instead of 3), I cross it off and write what I did, then highlight! I feel REALLY guilty if I miss a few in a row!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, Deanne! Excellent job on the 4 miles. Now that you know you can do it, it'll be that much easy to tackle the next walk!! :) You go girl!

    ReplyDelete