Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Fundraising Letter

Here I am struggling to write my fundraising letter.

I have two obstacles:

1. Asking people for money is something I don't do easily. As an accountant, I know how money works, and how the lack of it affects others. Yet, as part of my journey, I also know that money raised is used to support research, breast cancer patients, screenings, and education that the Susan G. Komen foundation is known for.

2. As a Catholic involved with the Church, I find myself in the midst of controversy. The Catholic Church had to pull their support of Susan G. Komen due to their involvement with Planned Parenthood. In my dealings with the Susan G. Komen 3-Day, I have learned that the INTENTION of their involvement with Planned Parenthood is to screen women who are at a greater risk for breast cancer due to lack of medical insurance and abortion. Now, while I agree with the church in that abortion is wrong, I will not ask another woman to carry my beliefs, as I am not in their shoes. But, I also agree with the Susan G. Komen Foundation's support of screening women in a place where they are receiving medical care - even though that medical care caused their higher risk.

What do I say to my family who agree with the Catholic Church? How to do I ask people who don't have a lot of money to help me reach my goal of raising $2,300?

I am working on it, but it is slow going.... so slow!

Thanks for reading! ~ Deanna

No comments:

Post a Comment