Saturday, September 11, 2010

Double Digit Back 2 Back!

During the weekend of August 28th,  I accomplished a milestone, that when I started this thing, I thought was highly improbable: I walked 10.2 miles on Saturday and followed it up with 10.2 miles on Sunday. But, then again, when I started this thing, I was alone, wait, that's not quite right, I was lonely, lazy and had weekends that consisted of sleeping in until 1 or 2 pm after staying up until 1 or 2 am the night before; and very little physical activity. Oh, how my life has changed!

I am now going to bed early every night, and getting up early every day - even on days when I am supposed to be sleeping in! I am meeting up with friends every weekend, bonded by a common cause: the end of breast cancer! I am pushing myself past where I'd normally stop partly because there are no sweep vans on training walks and partly because my newfound friends keep telling me I can do it. I keep proving them right too! Well, with the exception of Saturday.....I was supposed to walk 15 miles, but only walked 10 - mostly because I wanted to make sure I would walk 10 on Sunday.

To shake things up for the 15 mile walk, our team captains decided they would put together a scavenger hunt. Every 5 miles, we got a list of 10 items we had to find before we finished the 5 miles. The captains split the walkers between the North (Black) and the South (Pink) teams and received our scavenger lists.....here are photo results from the first 10 miles:

Photo 1: Squirrel
Black Team
Pink Team

Photo 2: Purple Flower
Black Team
Pink Team


Photo 3: Someone not walking with us wearing a breast cancer pink ribbon
Black Team
Pink Team

Photo 4: Black running shoe
Black Team's photo take with a cell phone - not pictured here....
Pink Team

Photo 5: Mother/Daughter
Black Team
Pink Team (These two are on the Pink team!)

Photo 6: Pink shirt
Black Team
Pink Team

Photo 7: Group picture in front of the carving
Black Team
Pink Team

Photo 8: Funny potty picture
Black Team
Pink Team


Photo 9: Police car
Black Team
Pink Team

Photo 10: Everyone walking like an egyptian
Black Team
Pink Team


Photo 11: Deer

Black Team
Black Team

Photo 12: Pink Flower
Black Team
Pink Team

Photo 13: Showing your safety badge to someone who is talking on their cell phone who is not walking with the group
Black Team

Pink Team


Photo 14: Pink running shoe
Black Team
Pink Team

Photo 15: Husband/Wife
Black Team
Pink Team

Photo 16: Black shirt
Black Team
Pink Team
I couldn't find this one in the photos...

Photo 17: Group picture of everyone hydrating
Black Team

Pink Team


Photo 18: Someone hugging a tree.
Black Team
Pink Team

Photo 19: Picture by the water wheel by the water fall
Black Team

Pink Team


Photo 20: Picture by a one way sign with everyone going in the opposite direction
Black Team
Pink Team
And that is where I pooped out! But, I must admit I wasn't alone - several of us carpooled, and there was a group of about 5 of us hanging out waiting for the troopers to get through the last 5 miles. There were more pictures, but there are so many pictures on this post, I'm giving up here too!

Sunday's walk wasn't as adventurous, although it was just as long. I kept going, even though I had PLENTY of chances to get back in my car and go home. We took several small loops around the neighborhood close to our cars - partly because several of us hadn't walked a back to back like that yet.

I just have so say that I am very proud of myself for this weekend....I still can't believe I have walked 20 miles!


Thanks for reading! ~ Deanna