Saturday, September 11, 2010

Double Digit Back 2 Back!

During the weekend of August 28th,  I accomplished a milestone, that when I started this thing, I thought was highly improbable: I walked 10.2 miles on Saturday and followed it up with 10.2 miles on Sunday. But, then again, when I started this thing, I was alone, wait, that's not quite right, I was lonely, lazy and had weekends that consisted of sleeping in until 1 or 2 pm after staying up until 1 or 2 am the night before; and very little physical activity. Oh, how my life has changed!

I am now going to bed early every night, and getting up early every day - even on days when I am supposed to be sleeping in! I am meeting up with friends every weekend, bonded by a common cause: the end of breast cancer! I am pushing myself past where I'd normally stop partly because there are no sweep vans on training walks and partly because my newfound friends keep telling me I can do it. I keep proving them right too! Well, with the exception of Saturday.....I was supposed to walk 15 miles, but only walked 10 - mostly because I wanted to make sure I would walk 10 on Sunday.

To shake things up for the 15 mile walk, our team captains decided they would put together a scavenger hunt. Every 5 miles, we got a list of 10 items we had to find before we finished the 5 miles. The captains split the walkers between the North (Black) and the South (Pink) teams and received our scavenger lists.....here are photo results from the first 10 miles:

Photo 1: Squirrel
Black Team
Pink Team

Photo 2: Purple Flower
Black Team
Pink Team


Photo 3: Someone not walking with us wearing a breast cancer pink ribbon
Black Team
Pink Team

Photo 4: Black running shoe
Black Team's photo take with a cell phone - not pictured here....
Pink Team

Photo 5: Mother/Daughter
Black Team
Pink Team (These two are on the Pink team!)

Photo 6: Pink shirt
Black Team
Pink Team

Photo 7: Group picture in front of the carving
Black Team
Pink Team

Photo 8: Funny potty picture
Black Team
Pink Team


Photo 9: Police car
Black Team
Pink Team

Photo 10: Everyone walking like an egyptian
Black Team
Pink Team


Photo 11: Deer

Black Team
Black Team

Photo 12: Pink Flower
Black Team
Pink Team

Photo 13: Showing your safety badge to someone who is talking on their cell phone who is not walking with the group
Black Team

Pink Team


Photo 14: Pink running shoe
Black Team
Pink Team

Photo 15: Husband/Wife
Black Team
Pink Team

Photo 16: Black shirt
Black Team
Pink Team
I couldn't find this one in the photos...

Photo 17: Group picture of everyone hydrating
Black Team

Pink Team


Photo 18: Someone hugging a tree.
Black Team
Pink Team

Photo 19: Picture by the water wheel by the water fall
Black Team

Pink Team


Photo 20: Picture by a one way sign with everyone going in the opposite direction
Black Team
Pink Team
And that is where I pooped out! But, I must admit I wasn't alone - several of us carpooled, and there was a group of about 5 of us hanging out waiting for the troopers to get through the last 5 miles. There were more pictures, but there are so many pictures on this post, I'm giving up here too!

Sunday's walk wasn't as adventurous, although it was just as long. I kept going, even though I had PLENTY of chances to get back in my car and go home. We took several small loops around the neighborhood close to our cars - partly because several of us hadn't walked a back to back like that yet.

I just have so say that I am very proud of myself for this weekend....I still can't believe I have walked 20 miles!


Thanks for reading! ~ Deanna

10 comments:

  1. I know you really didn't want to hear from me but, all things happen for a reason. I am so very proud of you. Remember one of the first post you made(either here or on fb) was you reached a milestone and walked 20 minutes straight. Look at where you have come girl. Incredable!!!!! I am glad you have a new home that's the perfect fit for you. After all are we not all really on the same big team. KEEP GOING, YOU CAN DO IT!!!! You have made it this far, the finish line is yours!!!

    Sorry for everything before and see you on The 3 Day!!!!!

    Guess Who, Pink Sister

    There isn't enough "Pink" in the world, every 69 seconds someone still dies from Breast CAncer

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super fun idea!! I LOVE it!!

    ~ Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun.... and WTG on your double digit back-to-back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I am doing a 15 miler this weekend, longest training walk so far has been 13.5, It has just been TOO dang hot to train this summer! Last year I walked countless miles and weighed 25 pounds less than I do this year......I hope this year I can walk the entire 60 as I did in 2009. For my mom. She'll be with me or on the sweep van!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wtg! Keep stepping! The photos are great! You will definitely succeed on this journey. Thanks for sharing the scavenger hunt idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all for the wonderful support!

    I loved this idea as well! Too bad it wasn't mine! A big thank you goes out to Amanda White and Michelle Buice - two of the best team captains I could have ever hoped for and originators of this scavenger hunt idea! Whoo-hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas and congratulations! You did awesome. Thanks for the encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! A big congratulations on your back-to-back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deanna, I am so proud of you! Keep up the hard work! Glad to call you my friend!

    ReplyDelete